UNFORTUNATELY FOR 2020 AND EARLY 2021, THERE WILL BE NO PRIVATE GLASSING COURSES AVAILABLE DUE TO OTHER WORK AND SPACE LIMITATIONS RELATING TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS AND RECOVERY.
This course is conducted One-on-One and is for the individual who wants to learn how to laminate a surfboard with polyester resins. The course modules are designed for people with no previous laminating experience and will provide detailed instruction of glassing principles and processes covering everything from the laminating bay itself to tool choice and use, the benefits of different materials and cloth, plug installation, sanding and various techniques and tricks of the trade. The duration of each class runs between 6 - 8 hours (dependant on how many extras you want on your surfboard).
*Please note – Each participant must provide their own shaped blank! A Pre-shaped blank can be purchased from The Surfboard Studio but must be organised two weeks prior to the booking date.
A brief talk about the surroundings in a glassing room, talk about flammable liquids that you will be handling and first aid if something goes wrong and the dangers of mixing different liquids. Learn about:
- Mixing ratios for resin and tints and pigments.
- Fibreglass weights and what you need on different boards.
- Tool description for use in laminating surfboards.
- Learn to mark out and prep blank for glassing
- Mark pin lines ready for pigments and cut laps
- Layout glass and learn the cutting process.
- Laminating the bottom
- Cutting of the laps
- Grinding of the laps
- Laminating the deck
- Grinding of the laps
- Putting hard edges on tail
- Putting on the filler coats top and bottom
Understanding the process of what to sand and what not to sand.
- Safety of electric sanders.
- Different grades of sanding pads.
- Sanding techniques for bottom and deck contours.
- Hand sanding the rails.
- Fine Tuning your board.
- Pro-finish board to hide all scratches and imperfections.
- Wet and dry Surfboard.
- QC board for completion.
Simply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on these.
This category is empty! Please try another category or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.